The picture (left) is taken under the Portland Viaduct's centre arch looking towards the dam outlet. The water was regulated by the control sluices situated on top of the dam. The picture (right) gives us a firm date of construction along with the 'M&P' in the centre arch keystone. The Portland Bridge was infact built 20 years before the dam was constructed when the River Maun flowed through this centre arch. Another identical outlet (pictured below) is situated below where the cornmill stood and is now almost filled with rubble after the mill was demolished. Also pictured below is Kings Mill showing the disused wheelhouse in the foreground. The water mill was flooded after the reservoir was constructed in 1839 and the decision was taken to convert to steam power. Kings Mill was the only mill on the Maun not to be converted to textile manufacture, continuing as a flour mill until it was destroyed by fire while operating as an animal feed processing mill in the early 1900's.
This is Kings Mill c.1900 showing the two sluices on top of the dam. In the foreground is the overflow, which today is spanned by a footbridge. Interestingly, the reservoir became operational in 1839, the same year that Kings Mill was converted to steam power. Records show that the reservoir flooded the old mill that year indicating that they hadn't quite got the hang of regulating the sluice system! Kings Mill was a flour grinding mill and remained so while the other mills on the Maun, established and newly built, were involved in the textile industry.